Garcinia Combogia is a small pumpkin shaped tropical fruit grown in India and Southeast Asia. It was consumed in many parts of Asia, but not for the purpose of weight loss. It is traditionally known as Malabar tamarind.
The active ingredient is hydroxycitric acid. It reduces the fat anabolism in the body by blocking citrate lyase, the key enzyme for conversion of carbohydrate to fat. It also increases the serotonin level in the brain. Serotonin level is decreased in depression and results in stress eating. Thus reducing the appetite helps in weight reduction.
It decreases the body fat and increases lean muscle mass. It also reduces the level of LDL (bad cholesterol), triglycerides and increases the level of HDL (good cholesterol). Thus Garcinia Cambogia improves the overall health.
Effects of Garcinia Cambogia
- Reduction of appetite and decreased desire to eat than earlier thus helps in weight loss
- Craving for unhealthy foods like sugar addiction is reduced
- It increases the serotonin level thus makes a person happier and improves depression
- Energy level and concentration is increased
- Stabilize the blood sugar level by stimulating the cells to glucose uptake for energy
- Cholesterol level and bowel movements are increased, thus making our cardiovascular and gut healthy
- Helps to reduce the joint pain, making people more active
Side Effects of Garcinia Cambogia
Many of the weight loss drugs carry the potential for liver damage and hepatotoxicity along with them. Garcinia Cambogia is also one of them.
Other side effects are –
- Rashes on the skin
- Immune system of the patient might be compromised, making the person more vulnerable to diseases.
- Weakness and fatigue
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Interaction of Garcinia Cambogia are worse with :-
- Medication for asthma or allergy
- Diabetes drugs including Indulin and pills
- Iron and pain medication
- Drugs acting on brain like antidepressants
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs like statin
- Drugs used for thinning blood like warfarin
There are mixed results in the study of Garcinia Cambogia. Due to adverse side effects like hepatotoxicity, it is highly recommended to consult your doctor before taking any product containing Garcinia Cambogia.